If you saw yesterday’s post, you noticed we served food from different countries to represent all the athletes from different countries coming together for the Olympics. We promised you the recipes from that party this week, and here is the first one. For Mexico we served guacamole, cheese dip, and salsa. The salsa and cheese dip were store bought (Jack’s Special Salsa and Pancho’s Cheese Dip), but we went homemade with the guacamole. I had never had guacamole with cheese in it before, but I generally think just about everything is better with cheese. I was excited when I came across Chrissy Teigen’s Easy Cheesy Guacamole recipe a little while ago and got the idea to add cheese to guacamole. I combined hers with the sun-dried tomatoes from my previous favorite guacamole recipe from Babalu Tacos & Tapas. Both of these are great recipes, but I love the spiciness of the sun-dried tomatoes versus regular tomatoes and really enjoyed the cheese and spices she used. I’m also not an onion fan, so I omitted the onions of both recipes in my final concoction. The result was an absolute crowd pleaser.
The bowl was scraped clean by the end of the party. I had several people call or text for the recipe the next day. Without further ado, here is what you will need to make the best guacamole you’ve ever had:
3 ripe avocados
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbs chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbs sun dried tomatoes, minced
Dash of garlic powder
1 cup shredded cheddar
1. Begin by shredding your cheddar cheese. It’s easier to buy pre-shredded, but the flavor is not the same. Continue by mincing your garlic cloves and sun-dried tomatoes.
2. Slice the avocados in half and remove the meat. Cover with the lime juice.
3. Mash with potato masher or fork. Don’t get overzealous. You still want it to be chunky.
4. Add the next four ingredients: salt, cumin, pepper, and cayenne, and fold into avocado with a fork.
5. Add cilantro, garlic and sun dried tomatoes and combine with fork.
6. Throw in the dash of garlic powder and the 1 cup freshly shredded cheese.
7. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!